- Christianity tops the list with 34%
- Islam (Muslims) follows with 25%
- Hinduism 16%,
- Atheists; Agnostics 17%
- Buddhism 6%
- Tribal Religions (Animism, traditional) 4%.
- The remaining 8% comprises a large number of smaller groups including Sikhs and Jews.
These statistics are open to many different interpretations. Our ultimate goal is to preach the gospel, so here is how we could look at the stats from an evangelical mission perspective.
- Split the Christian segment into Protestants, Catholics and Orthodox.
- Further divide the Protestants into evangelical and nominal Christians.
- Recognize that many Muslim, Hindu, and Buddhist groups are really Animists (spirit worshipers) overlaid with a thin veneer of the official religion.
- Understand that Atheism is really a religion. Otherwise, why would they be so passionate about something they didn’t believe in.
Wikipedia is a well respected encyclopedia on the Internet. See what it says about major world religions. Click here.
Bear in mind that this is a secular publication. As you read, remember the words of Jesus.“I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me” (John 14:6).
“You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way” (Matt 7:13).